Thursday, April 11, 2013

Princess of Pop guides young girls into womanhood


Looking back on all the songs and lyrics I’ve discussed here, I realized I couldn’t leave this one woman out. Growing up in the 90’s, there is no way to mistake her influence; she will always be the Princess of Pop…the legendary Ms. Britney Spears.

Say what you will about her, but I’ll always love her. She may not have the greatest voice, and we all know she is known for lip syncing. But you can’t doubt she’s a star performer.
Star Performer
I’ve seen her in concert twice, and both times she gave it her all!


 I’m choosing an oldie of hers…this is Not a Girl, Not yet a Woman
by Britney Spears


Lyrics:

[Chorus:]
I'm not a girl,
Not yet a woman.
All I need is time,
A moment that is mine,
While I'm in between.

[Verse 2]
I'm not a girl,
There is no need to protect me.
It's time that I
Learn to face up to this on my own.
I've seen so much more than you know now,
So don't tell me to shut my eyes.

Read the rest HERE


I remember when this song came out, a lot of people were ragging on it, the media turned it into a joke. And ok maybe the concept is corny to some, but for me I remember really understanding the song, and really loving its meaning. As young girls try to navigate the growing up process, it’s a bumpy ride. There are all these things being thrown at you. Do this, be that, say this, dress like that.This song is about ignoring that, and paving your own path and finding your way yourself, without the input of the world around you.

It’s difficult to try and step away from being that young innocent wide eyed girl, and become an independent woman. That transition can be overwhelming, and I can only imagine how difficult it is, to do that in front of the entire world watching your every move.

She talks about being “caught in the middle,” somewhere along the line you reach a point in that transitioning phase toward adulthood when you realize you are growing into a young lady. That you realize you can take on more responsibility, you can take care of yourself. I love the lineAll I need is time, A moment that is mine, While I'm in between.” I feel like it’s true.  You are no longer a little girl, but you haven’t quite made it to the true woman you dream of being. Growing up, is just that a process…and allowing young girls that time, to see where their life takes them, is very important. It’s in that pre-adult stage where they learn to find out who they truly are. And if you ask me, I think that time is needed so they don’t grow up too fast. I think that's an important lesson for young girls to learn...so Thanks Britney for allowing your music to always be inspiring.

-<3-

Michelle


No comments:

Post a Comment