Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Alexz Johnson's voice deems her an "Instant Star"


“Look at those eyes”
 By Alexz Johnson






Lyrics:

 
 
Soothing like a lullaby
I don't wanna fight this fight
You feel the weight of the world on your mind
We leave it all behind

It's been a long way long way long way home

It's been a lonely lonely lonely road
It's been a long time I can't find
So long I'm gonna lose my mind
It's been a long way long way long way home


Read the rest of the lyrics HERE



Alexz Johnson is one of those artists that have always been in my back pocket, and although at times she may not always be up front and center on my music list, she is never forgotten. She has one of the most original female voices, I’ve heard in a while. I feel like it’s not easily compared to many pop icons today. She’s unique and driven and her passion for music is very clear in her songs and in her performances.

Now if her face looks at all familiar, she is an actress too. She starred on a Disney show when she was much younger entitled So Weird, she played the girl that died tragically via Nail Gun to the face in Final Destination 3, and is probably most known for playing “Jude Harrison” on the n’s Instant Star.

I think it’s safe to say that the role of “Jude Harrison” may have paved the way for Alexz's music career. Her voice and talent doesn’t lie, but I am sure that by utilizing her role as a young teenager who instantly skyrockets to fame after winning a singing contest, it is easy to see how I feel it’s safe to say it was an outlet for Alexz. It also gave the young Ms. Johnson a fan base for not only her character’s musical career, but also gained her recognition for her own.

As for Look at those eyes, this was a song she wrote with her brother. And there are several versions of this floating about, but this performance just makes me fall in love with her music all over again. That pool area has some seriously good acoustics! Haha ;)

I think it’s interesting when you see a singer songwriter really get all they deserve. Often times songwriters will just sell their songs to other artists to sing. In my opinion that has got to hurt. I mean if I had to sell a script of my own work, I think I would cry, when you are a songwriter, I imagine those songs become your babies. And honestly I don't think any other artist could give Alexz's lyrics the voice it deserves.
Photos from alexzjohnson.com

This song is off of her 2010 album Voodoo, the reason why I chose this version is because it’s acoustics are simple, just the two accompanying guitars, that allow her voice to really shine. Even her little moments where she hums in between lyrics, make the song even more beautiful. She just has this beautiful tone, and it’s soft but powerful. When those strong guitar strums come in, her voice doesn’t waver, neither does it get over powered, in fact in my opinion her voice is all I pay attention to!

The song is very heavy with emotion. The lyrics I chose are some of my favorite parts of the song. When I decide on what lyrics to focus on, I usually base it on the parts where I really gravitate to her vocally. I mean it’s not to say I don’t like the actual lyric, because of course I do! It’s a beautifully structured piece. But if you watch for how she actually sings these few lyrics in this performance, your ears are just inclined to focus in.

The song is about feeling that weight of life upon you. And knowing that others around you see that weight displayed in your eyes and on your face. It’s stating that regardless of that weight and whatever it may be made of, you are not alone in that darkness. That life's weight is made of complications, hardships, old faces that turn into new faces, people coming in and out of your life, circumstances beyond your control, things that may make you feel like you’re losing your sanity. But even so, there are people in your life who are there for you, who are always there beside you.

Also, I feel like there could even be a bit of a religious factor here too, maybe displaying how even though you may feel as though you’re walking through life alone, God is always there to walk with you. Who knows that may be reading too much into things, but that’s just me!  I also love that in some way the song does have hope, and even though it’s “been a long way home,” eventually home is where you land, and by home I think it means understanding the realization that you are not alone. That life does go on, and you can get passed the hurdles.

The official music video sends a beautiful message as well…Check it out!

-<3-

 Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment