Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A Writer's Song


What I love most about music, is that there is always a song to be recommended and shared. A friend of mine recently reminded of this song and at first it was one of those songs that I had to hear the chorus to be reminded of how good it is. And now it’s back on my radar full force… #onrepeat :D

“Bleed”

Hot Chelle Rae



Lyrics:

I feel like I'm drowning in ice water
My lips have turned a shade of blue
I'm frozen with this fear that you may disappear
Before I've given you the truth
I bleed my heart out on this paper for you
So you can see what I can't say
I'm dying here (I'm dying here)
'Cause I can't say what I want to
I bleed my heart out just for you 

Read the lyrics HERE

This is one of those songs that just fits. Sometimes a song just hits home, and in my current state of mind, this song could not be more perfect. Reading the lyrics I feel as if I could have written them myself. The song is about feeling a range of emotions about someone and not being able to tell them out of fear. Fear of what may happen if you do.

Sure your mind goes straight to a romantic relationship, and I’m sure that’s what this song is about. About being in love with someone who you can’t tell them yourself, so putting it on paper is your way of getting those feelings out before they destroy you.

But in a way I think this song has many layers. I think it could easily be about a number of relationships, it could be about a relationship with a friend, or a family member, or it could be about a relationship with a significant event in your life. It could also in a deeper sense, be about the relationship you have with yourself. Maybe you've been hiding things from yourself, not allowing yourself to see what you truly need to see. Good or bad, whatever it is, you know you need the time to be able to say what you need to say.

As someone who loves to write, sometimes you don’t really know why you write what you write. Sometimes a simple train ride home looking out the window is enough to trigger a thought. A lot of times whether you know it or not, you’re writing about someone, or something, because writing is a way of saying the things you feel you need to say, but don’t feel you can muster up the courage to actually say them. That’s what I think this song is about, and that’s why I feel such a personal connection to it.

There’s this quote I keep coming across, by Ernest Hemingway, it says

“There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.” 

Kind of fits doesn’t it?

-<3-

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment