Thursday, April 25, 2013

Gavin Degraw; "Not Over You"

"Not Over You" 

by Gavin Degraw





Lyrics:
Source

Dreams, that's where I have to go
To see your beautiful face anymore
I stare at a picture of you and listen to the radio
Hope, hope there's a conversation
We both admit we had it good
But until then it's alienation, I know
That much is understood
And I realize

[Chorus:]

If you ask me how I'm doing
I would say I'm doing just fine
I would lie and say that you're not on my mind
But I go out and I sit down at a table set for two
And finally I'm forced to face the truth,
No matter what I say I'm not over you, not over you

Read the rest HERE




This is one of those break up anthem songs, however instead of the vindictive route, it takes a rather different approach. An approach in which reveals the hidden feelings that have been locked away for that certain person.


I love the chorus so much, it's very piano heavy, which makes it fun to sing to. To me that whole idea is a contradiction. The piano creates a vibrant, happy vibe, meanwhile the reality of the song is basically a heart wrenching love letter to someone no longer there.


Lines like "If you ask me how I'm doing I would say I'm doing just fine I would lie and say that you're not on my mind," are pure proof of the words many people in relationships are too scared to say. We are conditioned as humans, to hide any kind of pain we may be suffering from. It's strange...as if the world around us hasn't suffered heartache in some shape or form. Instead of hiding those emotions, one may feel it liberating to get them out, and who knows you will most likely find that someone out there has dealt with the same situation.

I imagine this is why this song was such an anthem. Because Gavin was able to put into words what so many people have tried to hide. It's one of those "songs that just get you."

The music video is also really effective, at least I think so...it split screens the two lovers and you see how their separation has effected them. You see them go about their everyday routine without having each other there. I often get frustrated with music videos these days, because most of them have little to do with the true meaning of the song. But this is quite the exception. Gavin is a true artist.

-<3-

Michelle


No comments:

Post a Comment