Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Waging "War" as Poison becomes Wine


This is "Poison & Wine" by The Civil Wars


[Photo Credit]


Lyric Choice
[Photo Credit]

Oh I don't love you but I always will
I always will

Read the rest of the lyrics HERE




For a really long time this song was played on a loop. I even used it for my music video project for my basic digital media class. I first discovered The Civil Wars when they opened for Adele two years ago.

I remember sitting in the Beacon Theatre and listening to the lyrics from Poison & Wine and… I’m not even kidding you, I felt like my heart was breaking and I felt like I was about to cry. The song is pretty self explanatory, it’s main lyric that sticks out for me is “I don’t love you, but I always will,”…and basically it’s about a relationship that will forever be one of those things that will always hold a place in your heart, regardless of what happened, or what that person has put you through; good or bad.

It’s interesting, when you go to a concert. Sometimes you go and see the opening act, well because you want to, or because you just don’t want to chance missing the main act. For me, opening acts are a like a present. I love discovering new music and hearing them live. It’s the best way possible. You not only get to hear their music organically, but you also get to “meet them” in a way. You get to see what they’re like as people, as individuals. The Civil Wars were so personal, they treated you like friends, that told stories and joked around. They made it feel more intimate, rather than a huge concert. It's takes a great presence to pull that off.

Sometimes, the opening acts aren’t always amazing; sometimes you don’t make a long lasting connection with them. But The Civil Wars…well they were a true gift. It is because of them, that my ass is even in the chair during opening acts. I realize how much love I’ve acquired for them, and that was all by accident. Because who knows if I ever would have found them otherwise. It’s made me want to find other new artists that I have yet to connect with.

The Civil Wars consist of two members; John Paul White, and Joy Williams. And no... surprisingly enough they are not a couple. Although the whole time watching them, it’s very easy to make that mistake. They have such a strong musical romance, their voices combine together beautifully. I remember hearing Joy say in an interview how they are “Musical Soulmates,” and I remember thinking to myself , how beautiful and true that appeared to be.

Now that I think of it, they have made quite a name for themselves in the past two years. Winning 3 Grammy Awards, lending their voices to accompany Taylor Swift for the track Safe and Sound on The Hunger Games soundtrack, being nominated for various other awards and now working on a new upcoming album. Since I saw them their music has been featured in movies and television shows; personally speaking I remember hearing Poison & Wine on both The Vampire Diaries and Grey’s Anatomy.
I can’t wait to see what they have planned for their follow up…something tells me it’s going to be a gift I’m just as grateful for as the last!


Oh and if your interested they covered MJ's Billie Jean, which you can probably guess from my earlier post, that I was super excited about... take a look, it's pretty freakin' amazing.

-<3-
Michelle










 










No comments:

Post a Comment