Monday, February 18, 2013

Vocally "Impossible" to Beat

This is "IMPOSSIBLE" by Christina Aguilera 
[Photo Credit]

Lyric Choice:
It's impossible for me to give you what you need
If you're always hidin' from me

*** 
I don't know what hurt you
I just, I wanna make it right
Cos boy I'm sick and tired of trying to read your mind

***
This is not a circus
Don't you play me for a clown
How long can emotions keep on goin' up and down



Read the rest of the lyrics HERE




(Credit)

Ok so for this song, I'm gonna paint a little picture for you. I'm gonna create an atmosphere. Imagine yourself walking into an old jazz infused bar. Cigar smoke wafting through the air, the fragrance mixes in with bourbon and a hit of women's perfume. The piano dances, the symbols rattle, and then the slow steady... at times fierce... drum blends in with a constant strong tapping of the piano keys. Then you look across the room as the red velvet curtain slowly rises. And there on the stage, she stands. Her presence but a silhouette. The beauty is all in her voice.


I think it's safe to say that Christina Aguilera is one of the most talented and vocally brilliant singers of this generation. Say what you will about her personality, because those who watch her on The Voice have been quite annoyed by her, myself included. But her voice is a power house. Now I am more of a Britney girl myself ;), but there is no doubt in my mind that Christina has pure talent.


I chose this song, because of the atmosphere it creates around me. It isn't one of her most well known hits. It isn't like her song Genie in a bottle, or Dirrty. It's a song in a class of it's own. Now lyrically you may not think it's that brilliant, but we will get to that. But vocally, I mean if you can't agree that she's fantastic...well then I don't know what your smokin'. ;)


The strength and control it must take to sing in the way she does, it's something I will always be in awe of.
I saw Christina in concert a good 10 years ago. She had went on tour with Justin Timberlake, and let's just say I'm kind of a little obsessed  (for lack of a more appropriate term) with Justin Timberlake. But having her perform on tour with him, was an extremely pleasant bonus. She did what almost every great female performer does, she put on a show. She changed her chair and her clothes countless times, and used stage props. And I am sure there was at least some point in the night where she was sitting on a swing overlooking the audience (ode to Britney Spears). But the truth is, I don't think she would have needed any of the extras. I think she is at her best when she's just singing. Just her, and the mic (and maybe a piano). Because to have talent like that, well that is something even money can't buy...(tell that to her record deal? huh?)

The main focus of this song is Christina's struggle with a man, and it explores how she is willing to be whatever he needs her to be, but she is unable to, if he never opens up to her. If he never confides in her; she expresses that in this beautifully crafted piece. The lyrics chosen show how frustrated she is with him and how she wishes to fix his past and will if he will tell her what is on his mind. She also shows how she is not willing to be a doormat; she is not willing to be made a fool of. It is a perfect depiction of the roller-coaster that is a relationship.

Now you may not be a Christina fan, but there is no denying talent. Give credit where credit's due. If you have any doubts ...here's a video of Christina performing a tribute to James Brown... "It's a Man's World" ...She Kills It!

-<3-
Michelle



No comments:

Post a Comment