Friday, February 8, 2013

Ironic Happiness


                                                                
This is “Happiness” by The Fray

The crowd was mesmerized...


Lyric Choice:

Happiness is a firecracker sitting on my headboard
Happiness was never mine to hold
Careful child, light the fuse and get away

‘Cause happiness throws a shower of sparks

Read the rest of the lyrics HERE

 What I love about this song is the irony behind it. It’s called “Happiness” yet through the lyrics you can see the underlying feeling of life being just “too good to be true.” 

That your happy moment will end soon, or somehow be taken away from you. Or if it doesn’t, self sabotage may give it a little push in the right direction. In the lyrics I chose, you can see how they use a firecracker exploding as a metaphor for the ups and downs Happiness can bring. By the end of the song there is always some hope in Happiness.

Personally I’ve had my days where this song would come on and it would just hit home. Because, in my opinion, many view Happiness with the sad illusion that you have to have everything you ever wanted to achieve that ultimate level of Happiness. When in reality it is always evolving, there are all different forms; even the slightest moment could make someone happy. I think it’s something everyone can relate to and I definitely think The Fray is one of the bands out there today, that are the perfect depiction of how lyrics can really tell a story. I’ve seen them 3 times, and they are even better live!


Here’s a LIVE performance of "Happiness"…if you’re interested!


-<3-
Michelle 








No comments:

Post a Comment