Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Name Twins? ;)

This is "Go On My Child" by Michelle Featherstone 


Lyric Choice:

Don't feel so naked
I am the blanket of hope
Your words are life rafts
And they keep us afloat
And when this long painful journey comes to an end
They will be touched by the message, the message you've sent
                                                                     
                                                                   Read the rest of the lyrics HERE

  This song is so beautifully written that it makes me want to cry…(ok maybe I already did…just a little). I guess because of my love of writing, I have a strong relationship with lyrics then most normal people would. After all aren’t lyrics thoughtful words put to music? 

   Haven’t you ever had a song just get you. Get what you might be feeling at that particular moment in your life. Songs can do that…Music does do that. And this song has done that for me many times.

   I was  first introduced to this song, because it was featured in an episode of the tv show One Tree Hill. How Michelle Featherstone’s Go On My Child,  is used in this episode made such an impact on me that it has always stuck in my head. 

  That's the funny thing about music, it is used across so many different mediums; radio, the internet, movies, television. It's amazing how much a scene in a tv show can be much more elevated with the added impact of the perfect song. 

  In the episode the "Brooke Davis" character is faced with a tough decision; having to choose between staying in New York for the fashion chance of a life time or to go back home and lead her cheer-leading team and friends in their yearly competition. Brooke watches on as a random group of friends seem to be living young and  having fun together while on a phone booth nearby is a poster of the model that has introduced her to the dark side of the fashion world. A world she never knew existed; a world of drugs and drinking and liars. She is unhappy by the revelation and seeing those kids and the model creates the idea that she has a choice to make. Does she choose her friends and the life she's always loved or the fashion model and the life of fame? (**Spoiler Alert: She chooses her friends**)  It’s a beautiful metaphor and the song's message is perfectly displayed. 

 The whole song is about fighting past all the criticisms of those around you and "going on," with your head held high and not letting society keep you from doing what you love or achieving your dreams. The lyric choice is one of my favorite parts of the song, I think it is a bit more of a pick me up. This song is a message to those who need a little help or inspiration, and the lyrics chosen displays the hope that at the end of such a painful haul, there will be some type of clarity or release. It's based on the belief that somehow, you can get through it all. 

What's your favorite inspirational song?

-<3-
Michelle


 

No comments:

Post a Comment