Friday, March 15, 2013

"That girl... from that show"


by Bethany Joy Lenz <3

Photo Featured in Zooey Magazine


Lyrics:

Honey I just can't get around it anymore
You make me feel like home is where you are
And baby I just can't run around it every morn'n
It's time that I believe it, home is where you are

Notes in my drawers, songs in my pockets,

Fragments of letters that you sent,
Leftover phone calls, cologne in the bath
I still have that bottle of Rosé

Staring at your photograph, tryin' to take it down

There's still a stirring in my heart 

Read the rest HERE


Speaking of Bethany Joy Lenz, I had brought up the fact that she covered the last song I posted, on the CW series One Tree Hill. And so I thought I'd give you a little taste of what she's all about.


I kind of feel like Joy has an old soul, she's kind of earthy and her music style is very different. I guess it's safe to claim that if you've taking a liking to the folk music that has become quite popular recently; you may really enjoy her music as well.

Joy was definitely able to utilize her singing talent on the series, because her character "Haley" became a singer on the show. So several of her songs were featured on it; songs including "Leaving Town Alive," "Maybe," "Quicksand," her cover along with musician Tyler Hilton of Ryan Adam's "When the stars go Blue," "Halo;" which was specifically written for her character's storyline, and numerous other songs.


Songs in my Pocket is a beautiful ballad, with a bit of a funky folksy twist. Joy's voice is a voice with a wide range. She grew up in musical theater so I think that may be why her sound is so original. In this song her soft and at times raspy tone is accompanied by soft bongo type drums and partnered with an almost unnoticeable guitar.

The lyrics explore the idea that there is that one person in your life who no matter where you are, they have somehow become your home. In the lyrics I chose you see her reminisce in some sense, of all the little things she's kept; trinkets that define the relationship. Things she can't let go of, because she still cares, because regardless of distance this man is still a part of her heart and to put it in a very cheesy way..."Home is where the heart is," my friends... whatever... clichés always work because they are usually true! ;) 




Let's just quickly touch base on the video for Songs in my Pocket and the fact that it was totally filmed in Coney Island! I mean I wish I would have known about it, that's practically my backyard, lol! She's so carefree in this video and matched with her beautiful voice and paired with the gorgeous lyrics it creates such an inspirational feeling.

Bethany Joy is a very eccentric and eclectic artist. She's an artist in more than just one form, many know her as an actress; she played "Michelle Santos" on veteran soap opera Guiding Light, and her best known role as "Haley James Scott" on One Tree Hill. She's used this as an outlet for her music and songwriting. Joy is also a very intricate and emotional writer; she has her own blog entitled Wish You Were Here. 

Joy's Blog consists of everything from music and movie suggestions, to fashion, to original poems. In fact she has been quite the inspiration for me starting my own personal blog michelleleighwrites.

Bethany Joy also has a rotating novel she shares with friends JC Coccoli and Abigail Spencer entitled Diamond Gothic; which follows a southern belle through the dark and dangerous mysteries of the Southern woods that surround her. It is featured on hellogiggles.com. 

She has also been working on turning the beloved novel [turned film] by Nicolas Sparks "The Notebook," into a musical. And has even gotten the green light from the author himself, she has also penned several original pieces for the musical.

Busy girl that Joy, not to mention she's the mom of a toddler too! Joy often jokes in interviews and once even made it her blog's header; that many people refer to her as "That girl from that show," and although she may say that One Tree Hill defined a big part of her life, her talents and her way of thinking are so much beyond that. (But seriously... miss that show!) Clearly I've been following her for a while, and I am quite the fan. I hope by showing you a little bit of insight into her world, that it opens up your eyes to how truly talented she is.

 
Source

 

-<3-

 Michelle


















No comments:

Post a Comment