Thursday, March 14, 2013

"Introducing" Enation


by Enation
 


    

 Lyrics:

Source
Can you let go?
Can you let go?
Can you let go of the past?

What if I told you
What if I told you
Your tears have never been ignored

You're beautiful
Your beautiful
You're brighter than before
You're brighter than before

Read the rest HERE
read

Do you ever feel like you're the only person who knows about a certain band, or the only person who is obsessed with a certain song by that particular band? I'm not naive to think that a band as spiritual and intricate as this needs an introduction. I know this band; Enation has a big following, but I often feel many of my peers and friends don't know about them. So I'd like to shed some light on one of their beautifully crafted songs.

Lenz as Haley James Scott on One Tree Hill
The truth is, once again this song was put on my radar due to it being featured on, and covered by a character on the show One Tree Hill. Yes... I happen to be influenced by the music on television A LOT. And quite frankly One Tree Hill, may not have been every one's cup of tea, but I grew up watching that show. And music happened to be a huge part of it!

Bethany Joy Lenz, a friend of the band's (a.k.a she was married to one of the band mates at the point of this song's release) sang a version of Feel This, for an episode of  One Tree Hill. She switched up the lyrics and changed the sound of it a bit. Lenz played small town girl turned rockstar named Haley James Scott. Because of the great fandom the show had acquired for so long, the song became very well known, but that was not the original version.

Now I happen to be a very big fan of Bethany Joy. I think she possesses a very graceful quality and she is a beyond talented singer/songwriter. Her style is very different from the norm, and I think in this day in music, that's something to strive for. I loved Joy's version so much when it appeared on One Tree Hill, but to be honest when I got wind that there was an original specifically just sung by Enation, I went searching and to my surprise fell even more in love with their version.

The song is simple. And so is its meaning. It's about love. It's about letting go of all the pain and hurt that came in your life before and moving on. It's about being moved by that love and wanting to express that feeling. This song is a feeling, it's a presence; a presence in which allows you  to feel as though the band are playing the song in your very own living room. A private show just for you. The voice of Jonathan Jackson; the lead singer, is soft spoken, almost above a whisper, accompanied by slow drums, and stokes of what appears to be a keyboard synthesizer, all which gives the song an almost heavenly out of body experience, when listening to it.

I chose the lyrics above because it's my favorite part of the song. I think these lines show the other side of the song, where the lead singer sings about letting go of the past and letting the other person in your life know that they're feelings matter; no matter what those feelings are... good or bad, they are important, they are worthy, they are beautiful.

Check out  Bethany Joy's Version.... And make your own decision! And if you haven't heard of Enation...well... now you have! :) Give them a listen!

-<3-

Michelle








No comments:

Post a Comment