Thursday, March 7, 2013

Motown Kid...


        
"Just My Imagination"

by The Temptations



 LYRICS
Source

Every night on my knees I pray.

Dear Lord, hear my plea.

Don't ever let another take her love from me.
Or I will surely die. Hmm

(Her love is) heavenly.

When her arms enfold me.
I hear a tender rhapsody.
But in reality, she doesn't even know me.



There were certain types of music that were constantly played around the house as I grew up, and those consisted of Michael Jackson, Elvis, and a whole lotta Motown. The Temptations are best known for songs like My Girl, The Way You Do the Things You Do, Ain’t Too Proud to Beg, Papa Was a Rolling Stone, and Just My Imagination.

The Temptations were definitely a family favorite and I remember whenever Just My Imagination would come on my brother and I would obnoxiously sing along! ;)

The song is kind of like this heartfelt love letter from a man to a woman, or just some guy stalking some girl…I guess it just depends on how you take it! ;) I will take the high road and say that it is a depiction of how a guy is fantasizing about the idea of his perfect girl and wishing she was with him.

The song puts you in a trance, and you almost believe that this fantasy is real. Until the chorus explores the truth that this has all been a fragment of the man’s imagination. It’s about watching from afar, and thinking of all the possibilities that could occur if the two were together, lines like “soon we’ll be married and raise a family…” These visions appear all too real for this man and it’s heartbreaking when you have to hear him admit it isn’t.

This was when music was real, when it focused on the musician’s voices, their ability to play instruments, and their all around talent. Never mind this whole generation that is slowly being based upon auto-tune and lip-synching, and rappers who can’t seem to pick up their damn pants or stop objectifying the female body in every single one of their music videos….(What, you know this is true!) Anyway… I think it was these guys who were romancing the ladies long before Bruno Mars came along to claim “your amazing just the way you are.  ;)

Each man’s voice has a different tone as they take turns having their solo moments where they can shine, but also harmonizing and creating a beautiful sound.  

I may be the only twenty-something year old, to sit and analyze the music of The Temptations, but hey when you grow up with it being around you, you tend to take a liking to it. And if I may say so, if you aren’t a Motown kid, you should definitely give it some consideration!

-<3-

Michelle


No comments:

Post a Comment