Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Mr. Knows Nothing at All

                                                                  
 by Kelly Clarkson                                                                  

Lyrics: 
Source

[Chorus:]
Oh you think that you know me, know me
That's why I'm leaving you lonely, lonely
'Cause baby you don't know a thing about me
You don't know a thing about me
You ain't got the right to tell me
When and where to go, no right to tell me
Acting like you own me lately
Yeah baby you don't know a thing about me
You don't know a thing about me

Kelly Clarkson is one of those American Idol winners that have gone on to bigger and better things. She's made quite the name for herself and it's almost a distant vision of the past that she was once just an amateur singer begging to be noticed. In my opinion Kelly's  voice ranks high up there with  Christina Aguilera, Mariah Carey, Demi Lovato, Adele, and Carrie Underwood; some of the best voices of this generation.

To me Mr. Know it All, is a bit of a dig at someone who was once in her life at some point. Someone who maybe tried to change her or change her view of life. Someone who thought their views, values, and beliefs were more important then hers. We all know those people who act like they know everything, act like they're always right, it's basically their way or no way at all. And quite frankly those people suck! Haven't they ever heard of diversity? Or a simple difference in opinion?


I love this song because I feel like the majority of society can easily relate to it. For instance, on a greater scale society itself is so judgmental. It tears people down, and makes them feel like they aren't worthy. Growing up in today's society many people try to conform to "the norms," they try and be like the rest of the world just to fit in. I chose the lyrics to the chorus because I felt that is the ultimate root of the message of the song. The truth is that you yourself can only truly know what you think or how you feel, and letting someone force expectations or assumptions upon you because they think they have you all figured out, or because they think they have the right to do so, is just not something that they are worthy of being allowed to do, if all they try to do is tear you down.






The video for this song is so perfectly orchestrated. It targets the media as the self proclaimed "Mr. Know it All." As Kelly sings her vindictive words, you can see the harsh and speculated views of the public plastered on the wall behind her in the form of newspaper clippings. She sings "You don't know a thing about me..." and it's true because for the most part you don't truly know someone unless you take that time to get to know them. To let yourself understand who they truly are. Everyone has hardships, things that have happened to them that make them sometimes close themselves off. Everyone has their insecurities. But it isn't any other person's obligation nor is it their right to judge a person based on what they think they see, or think they know. Because you don't know someone's story, you only see what they allow you too.

Source


 So... do you know any Mr. Know it Alls? ;)

-<3-

Michelle



No comments:

Post a Comment